Home    COBURG MARKETING

Historical

Chronicles of Coburg

Chronik
Chronological Table:

1000 B.C.    
Archaeological excavation on the Festungsberg (fortress hill) has found settlements that date by to the year 1000 B.C.
Around 800      
 The country around today's Coburg is part of the "Franconian Grabfeldgau".
1056
  First mention of the name "Coburg" ("mons-coburg" - handed down hill) in a deed of donation from the expelled Polish Queen Richeza, the daughter of the palatine Ehrenfried of Lothringen, to Archbishop Hermann of Cologne, her brother. The gift was the Saalfeld and Coburg dowry.
1207
  A document referred to "castrum choburg" (castrum = castle)
1217
  In a document, there was reference to "universum burgum choburg" (burgum - town). The old name of Trufalistat was not mentioned again after that time. So, the question remains as to whether the settlement called Trufalistat was incorporated into the founding of Coburg, or whether the settlement was destroyed for an unknown reason resulting in the name of the hilltop settlement being carried over to the foundation of the town in the valley. Unfortunately, the true background has not been uncovered to this day.
1240
  Founding of the 'Barfüßer' monastery (Franciscan) at the site of a lost valley castle (archaeological diggings revealed remains of its foundation and walls as well as a corner tower. Unfortunately, nothing more is known about this valley castle). Ehrenburg stands there today.
1248
  After an interim Meranier influence, Coburg became the property of the dukes of Henneberg. The first city arms bear the "Henne on the hill".
1272
  A document issued in Coburg bore the oldest city seal. The "Henneberg Seal", is a gate tower with a defense wall upon which a Henne is standing.
1310-1586
  Construction of the St. Moriz church (dedicated to St. Mauritius) as the main church of the town on the site of a predecessor church that had been standing since approx. 1217.
1312 (1317)
  The Coburg region once again came under the ownership of the House of Henneberg.
1331
  The rights of a city that was free of the jurisdiction of the lords of the land with self-government was conferred on the town by Emperor Ludwig der Baier. (following the example of Schweinfurt)
1353
  Coburg came into the hands of the Margraves of Meissen from the House of Wettin (Dukes of Saxony) as a succession of ownership through the marriage of Katharina of Henneberg - Schleusingen to Friedrich III von Meissen. From then, the town bore the "Meissen Lion" on the city arms (also a quartered shield with Meissen and Thuringian lions).
1380
  First appearance of the Moor's head (St. Mauritius), which is today's city arms, on a coin.
1485
  Through the great division of the Wettin territories between Elector Ernst of Saxony (Ernestinian line) and Duke Albrecht of Saxony (Albertinian line), Coburg went to Elector Ernst of Saxony.
1530
  Martin Luther lived in the Coburg Fortress from April to October during the parliament in Augsburg.
1543
  The first pharmacy (today's 'Hofapotheke') was opened at Marktplatz.
1547
  The former Barfüßer monastery (Franciscan) at today's Schlossplatz was expanded and converted into a castle according to a report in a monk's book.  It was called Ehrenburg Castle.
Emperor Charles's V lived in this castle. He also is reputed to have given the castle the name Ehrenburg.
1576/79
  Construction of a new, expanded city hall near to Ketschengasse / Market. The old city hall had stood at the market since approx. 1455. An even older city hall (1402?) may have stood in Steingasse.
1586-1633
  For the first time, Coburg became the residence and capital city of a completely independent, autonomous dukedom (Saxony-Coburg - Eisenach).
1597-1599   The seat of the ducal authorities, the government building (today's Stadthaus), came into being at Marktplatz.
1632   Wallenstein invaded the city and unsuccessfully besieged the Coburg Fortress.
1680   Coburg once again became the ducal residence.
1689   Part of Ehrenburg Castle burned down and was reconstructed as of 1690.
1813/1815   Enemy troops occupied Coburg. Through diplomatic intervention by Prince Friedrich Josias, plundering was averted.
1816-1840   New construction of the two north wings of the residence castle Ehrenburg and creation of today's arcades.
1826   Duke Ernst I received the dukedom of Gotha, for which he had to cede the principality of Saalfeld to Meinigen. The newly created state was given the name Saxony-Coburg and Gotha.
1837   Laying of the foundation stone of the Court Theatre (today's State Theatre). Dedication on September 17, 1840.
1860   First German gymnastics and youth festival and founding of the German Gymnastics Association in Coburg.
1862   On September 21st, founding of the German Singing Association in Coburg.
1865   Unveiling of the monument to prince consort Albert of England from the house of Coburg at Marktplatz in the presence of Queen Victoria, her children and many other members of royalty.
1894   Queen Victoria of England with her prince consort Albert of Saxony-Coburg and Gotha, the German Emperor Wilhelm II, the future Tsar Nicolaus II of Russia with his future spouse Alix (Alexandrowna) of Hesse and other personalities of that time met on the occasion of the wedding of the Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig of Hesse - Darmstadt to Victoria Melita of Saxony-Coburg and Gotha in Coburg.
1914   Construction of the science museum in the Court Garden.
1920   After a referendum, the Free State of Coburg joined Bavaria on July 1st.
1954   On March 6th, Coburg's last reigning duke Karl Eduard died at the age of 70.
1973   Opening of the border crossing to the German Democratic Republic in Rottenbach.
1989   The borders to the GDR fell on November 9 creating a new era for the city and the region of Coburg. It went from being a border region to a central German region.
1998   Since 1998, Coburg has once again been the seat of the House of Saxony-Coburg and Gotha. The head of the house is Prince Andreas, the grandson of the last duke Carl Eduard.

Contact

COBURG MARKETING
Herrngasse 4 • 96450 Coburg

Tel. +49 (0) 9561/ 89-8000
Fax +49 (0) 9561/ 89-8029
E-Mail: marketing@coburg.de

Hours of operation:
Mon-Fri 9.30am-5.30pm
Sat 10.00am- 2.00pm

suchen & buchen

online-buchen
With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.